Powerhouse Foods That Reduce Health Risks
Your diet is the key to your health. Eat the right foods and not only will you make your doctor happy; you'll make your body happier too. So, next time you're grocery shopping, pick up a couple of these powerhouse foods that reduce health risks. Still, remember to ask your physician about any health concerns that you may have.
- Salmon. Come on, you knew this one was coming! Salmon is an amazing fish that is both tasty and super healthy. Filled with omega-3 fatty acids that help your heart maintain its rhythm, eating salmon can strengthen your blood vessels and lower blood pressure. Plus, don't forget all that protein that your body needs for cell upkeep.
- Cheese. Cheese is another food that can lower the blood pressure in your body, which will keep your heart and blood vessels fresh for as long as possible. It also contains a load of healthy minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Just try to choose the low-fat options, since you don't want to weigh down your body. Lucky for you, there's a lot of different cheeses to pick from.
- Broccoli. Broccoli is a superfood that is both low on calories and filled to the brim with healthy goodness. There are vitamins C and K, where vitamin C is used for collagen production and K is required for blood clotting. Also, broccoli is filled with fiber, which is important for your digestive health and for avoiding constipation. Potassium helps with heart contractions and folate is needed to produce new cells. All these nutrients makes spinach one of the best powerhouse foods that reduce health risks.
- Spinach. Another veggie! Spinach is special because it contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which are carotenoid pigments that help dissuade blue light from your retinas. Other than violet light, blue light is the highest energy visible light type. By protecting your eyes from it, spinach makes your vision last longer. It's also rich in vitamins A and K!
- Whole Grains. Whole grain foods are awesome. They're rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Fiber is especially important since it both prevents constipation and helps you manage your weight. That's because fiber takes longer to digest, so it stops you from feeling the urge to chow down on more food. This makes whole grains a perfect choice for weight management, which helps reduce the risk of a whole ton of health problems.
- Cherries. Cherries are tasty, but they're also one of the only natural sources of melatonin. This hormone is required to help your body sleep, making cherries a perfect pre-bedtime snack. If you're having trouble sleeping, which can cause a lot of issues in and of itself, try eating some cherries or making yourself a nice, tart cherry juice.
Going on a completely new diet can be scary! But even eating a couple of these powerhouse foods that reduce health risks can help you feel your best. Just remember to check with your doctor if you're worried about or suffering from any possible health issues.