HCG Diet Side Effects Explained: Dry Mouth on HCG
Unfortunately, being on the HCG Diet can cause some side effects. Some people experience the dreaded “dry or cotton mouth” also referred to as “Xerostomia”. Fortunately, if you do have this side effect, there are ways to alleviate the problem.
- Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, in general, and especially when you are on the diet. Keep on sipping water every 5 minutes to keep your mouth from drying out completely. Proper hydration will encourage the salivary glands to secrete saliva.
- Try limiting your caffeine intake.
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper on your salad or other dishes. Take a little bit of it on your finger and rub it around your tongue. It will cause a tingling sensation in your mouth, stimulating the salivary glands. Consult your doctor for cayenne pepper capsules.
- Drink 2-3 cups of ginger tea or chew a small piece of ginger. Ginger juice helps solve the problem of dry mouth for a long time. It is considered very effective in activating the salivary glands and simultaneously freshening your breath.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water after eating. Avoid salty and acidic foods like tomato, orange, grapefruit and apple.
- Make sure you are breathing through your nose and not your mouth. If your nose is stuffy, you can use saline drops and breath in hot water steam to remove the congestion.
- Brush teeth and floss regularly. Cleaning and keeping your teeth clean prevents drying of the mouth. Try using a soft-bristled toothbrush to reach the crevices of your teeth.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air which helps the body maintain temperature and helps you to breathe properly.
- Gargle with salt water 3-4 times a day. It will trigger salivary glands to secrete saliva.
- Use mouthwash with alcohol; mouthwash that contains alcohol may cause drying of the mouth.
- Don’t smoke. Using tobacco products or chewing tobacco is a major cause of dry mouth.
- Avoid using antihistamines and decongestants unless prescribed by your doctor.
Try one of these herbal remedies for dry mouth:
- Green tea can help conquer dry mouth by using it once or twice every day. You can drink it or use it as a gargle or mouthwash. Consume a cup of green tea 3 to 4 times a day to improve the production of saliva. Consuming it regularly can help in treating various symptoms of dry mouth.
- Sip on ginger tea instead of black tea throughout the day to keep your mouth moist.
- Drinking a cup of chamomile tea on a frequent basis can reduce mouth dryness.
- Use Slippery Elm Bark powder in water creating a paste to treat the inside of your mouth or prepare a cup of tea with this herb 2 to 3 times a day. Add 1 teaspoon of this herb with a glass of cold water daily.
- Prickly Ash juice and water can be consumed for a period of 1 week to obtain successful results. This juice may also be directly applied to the mouth. Regularly consumed, Prickly Ash can help improve saliva production.
- Consume 1/4th glass of aloe vera juice daily. Try rinsing your mouth with cold water containing aloe vera juice several times a day or apply aloe vera gel inside your mouth using a cotton swab 2 to 3 times a day.
- Create a cup of tea with chrysanthemum by boiling it in water. You can drink several cups a day and regular consumption can help cure various symptoms associated with dry mouth.
- Daily use of Solomon’s Seal can stimulate saliva production and reduce dryness.
- Lily Bulb increases the moisture level in your mouth. It also helps with other symptoms associated with dry mouth.