HCG Diet Phase 2 Recipe: Meaty Tomato Sauce
This recipe is safe for Phase 2 of the HCG Diet and counts as 1 meat serving and 1 vegetable serving while on the HCG Diet.
Easy recipe.... Almost tastes like spaghetti sauce, but it is HCG Diet safe! Most store-bought tomato sauces contain sugar, preservatives, or other ingredients that could stall your weight loss. This recipe teaches you how to make your own HCG Diet-safe tomato sauce. We hope you like it!
- 1 large red tomato
- 1 tbsp water
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) extra lean ground beef*
- 1 tsp garlic, minced**
- ¼ tsp garlic powder***
- ¼ tsp onion powder***
- ¼ tsp ground basil
- ¼ tsp ground oregano
- ¼ tsp ground parsley
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Cut the tomato into several small pieces.
- Add the chopped tomato and the water into a non-stick saucepan.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, occasionally stir and gently smash the tomato.
- After the tomato is cooked and softened; add the contents to a blender and pulse until it has reached the consistency you prefer.
- Return the tomato sauce mixture back into the saucepan and add the seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, parsley, sea, and pepper to the saucepan. Stir well.
- Cover and let simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes to thicken.
- In the meantime, add the lean ground beef to a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Gently break-apart the meat with a spatula. As the meat cooks, continue to break it apart until you are left with several small pieces.
- After the meat is properly cooked; combine the meat with the tomato sauce mixture and heat on low for an additional 5 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly, transfer to a serving dish, and enjoy!
*Use extra lean ground beef while on Phase 2 of the HCG Diet (10% fat or less). For this recipe, we used 93/7 percent ground beef and it was delicious.
**While on the HCG Diet you should always mince fresh garlic, rather than pre-minced garlic from the grocery store. Most pre-minced garlic contain preservatives. To be on the safe side... mince your own fresh garlic cloves for the best possible weight loss.
***Not all garlic powders and onion powders are safe for Phase 2 of the HCG Diet. Check the ingredients and avoid anything containing sugar, starches, oils, preservatives, and words ending in -ose, -tol, or -dextrin.