Most store-bought dressings and condiments that are labeled ‘sugar-free’ or ‘low-carb’ are loaded with chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and other ingredients that can be harmful to your body. So, it takes a little effort and know-how to avoid these less-desirable products.
First, remember that just because something is labeled with the words low-carb, low-sugar, gluten free, or diabetic-safe doesn’t make it “healthy.” Then, always, always, always check not only the nutrition facts, but also the ingredients list. That’s where the real info is located.
Here are a few things to look for on ingredient lists to keep you and your family healthy:
- Hidden sugars. Sugar has many names including fructose, sucrose, and dextrose.
- Artificial sweeteners including Sucralose, Saccharin, Aspartame, and Acesulfame. Some artificial sweeteners can help cut down on calorie intake, however, consuming too much of any of these and you could risk other health problems.
- 100% whole grain. Enriched flour, degerminated corn meal, or wheat germ, are not associated with genuine whole grain foods. Look for things like whole grain, whole wheat, oats, oatmeal, or stone-ground whole grain.
- Good oils/bad oils. Good oils include olive oil, canola oil, or peanut oil. Look out for “partially hydrogenated oil.” That’s a source of trans fat which is believed to be very damaging to your arteries.
You always want to make sure that your meal 'add-ins' such as spices, dressings, sauces, etc. are as healthy as your meal... if not, you can ruin a perfectly healthy meal with a condiment that is filled with artificial ingredients and preservatives (nobody wants that)! Commit to a whole entire healthy meal by knowing the ingredients in your condiments, salad dressings, etc. and be diligent to make sure they are clean, natural, and tasty!
See all the products we love below. Our products are:
- Gluten Free
- No MSG
- No artificial sweeteners
- Sweetened with stevia
- Simple Girl Sweet Vinaigrette
- Simple Girl Sweet Mustard
- Simple Girl Citrus Ginger
- Simple Girl Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Simple Girl Country Sweet BBQ Sauce
- Simple Girl Carolina Kick BBQ Sauce
- Simple Girl Southern Blend BBQ Sauce
- Simple Girl Hot Sauce